Shiplap is commonly used for house walls. It is a special type of extra resistive wall that can be used on both inside and outside walls of a house made of wood.
Shiplap roofs were used more in the eighties and then gradually declined after 2000. Shiplap acts as an extra layer, much like roofing felt.
Now, Let’s get to the point, the question is “Can I use shiplap for roofing”. The answer is yes, you can use it.
What is shiplap?
Shiplap is a type of wooden plank that is usually used to create a hard surface on the roof. It is fixed on your roof by a special process.
In the middle of the 20th century, its use in the Pacific Ocean gradually increased. With the supply of timber in the Pacific Ocean, its cost is lower and so is the protection of the roof.
Shiplap was commonly used to make house structures and exterior side frames. How many old house archaeologists find shiplap sheets in almost every house?
Its advantage here is that although the type of use of shiplap has changed, its level of use has not decreased. And as it is naturally available, its use is expected to remain the same in the future.
Can you use shiplap for roofing?
Shiplap is a kind of rectangular board made of wood that is usually used on the walls of the house for extra protection and beauty.
However, the question now is whether shiplap can be used for the roof. Yes, you can use shiplap for your roof. Roofing felt such as a thin layer shiplap is a hardwood layer which is about 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick, and you can make it as long or wide as you want.
Where roofing feels like it increases roof protection by 30%, shiplap will increase by 80%.
How does it work?
A square end of a shiplap is called a butt joint. So, when two or three boards are fitted together, they easily overlap, creating a small gap in each.
It looks really interesting when the whole roof is covered. The butt edge of the boards make it easy to attach the pairs by making gaps easily.
Below are some of the main advantages of shiplap.
1. It is very readily available. Since it is made from wood, it is easily available and relatively inexpensive.
2. The shiplap can be carried very easily, so it will not be difficult to take it from one place to another.
3. It can be easily installed on the roof. There is no complicated process like other roofing support. Its installation process is very easy
4. Since shiplap is made of wood, it can be easily painted. So, you can paint the color of your choice.
5. Shiplap is very effective in protecting from outside hostile weather. Storm, the first blow of the rain will take the shiplap. The upper surface is made of hardwood, so the roof will not have any problem in the rain
There are some disadvantages of shiplap.
1. Roofs that still have shiplap are old. Old wood almost always dries out. And these dry wood planks will probably have gaps between the boards that allow for leaks.
2. Another common practice is to apply an underlayer on the shiplap, which is also damaged due to age.
3. Each layer creates a nail hole in the bottom layer. Each new hole, crack, and void creates an opportunity to leak the roof.
Frequently asking question and answer
Is shiplap good for roofing?
Answer: Shiplap is mainly used on the walls of the house but it can be used on the roof. Shiplap can be used on the roof, ceiling if you want. Moreover, because of the low weight and low cost, at the same time, you can use shiplap on the roof, walls, and ceiling of the house.
Is shiplap environmentally friendly?
Answer: yes, shiplap is environmentally friendly. As we know shiplap is made from natural wood. There is no chemical process or reaction, so it is environmentally friendly.
Does shiplap reduce external noise?
Answer: yes, shiplap reduces external noise. Shiplap, a thick layer of hardwood increases the thickness of the roof by placing the shiplap on it. For which, it actually reduces the noise from outside. At the same time, the speed of sound in the wood is less, so the outside noise can be heard less.
Shiplap has a few disadvantages, but its advantages are enough. It is made from completely natural wood, so it is environmentally friendly. And I have discussed in detail above “Can you use shiplap for roofing”.
Everything is mixed with good and bad. As it is environmentally friendly, the roof can leak as a result of prolonged use.
I have tried to give you a total idea. Good luck in the future.